Tuesday 10 November 2020

Thou shall not covet....

Thou shall not covet.... the latest Advanta RVS centre pin. I've been nursing my first centre pin through 4 seasons and have been getting a bit short tempered with it. I love it as it has bought a new dimension to my fishing from that first bite on it's first trot from a plump 14oz roach on a frosty January morning


That autumn it came into its own on short raids on the way home from work before a screw on the reel seat dropped in the mire. A replacement was majicked up from  a dusty draw in Wroxham Angling direct when it was  a proper tackle shop.











The Phillips head screw to undo the drum has always been a pain, and a while ago the whole spindle became fused, whilst it spins sweetly the whole lot comes out, not just the drum and its starting to wobble and the line can get a bit bunched and bedded. Not every trot, but enough to get me right cross. I've see the upgrade, and it seem to have a more civilised drum release and a detachable line guard. And of course, now I've seen it I want it. Badly.


But here's the rub. I do have  a second "original" all loaded up with 6lb line  "just in case".. it's been niggling in my ear for weeks now. Just swap the line over. Go on, do it. You'll  be bound to get some tokens for your  birthday/Covidmas. Go on, you know it's the only thing to do....  

And yes I have done. Swapped the line. And not bought the new kid on the block. And doesn't fresh Drennan Float Fish look and feel nice. It floats too, until it looses it's coating. Like it has on the waggler reel. 







15 comments:

  1. I've a few pins now and it makes so much more sense with a thumb screw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does. Saves on manufacturing costs I guess. Most of the low end pins all seem to be the same reel but rebadged or tweaked and they all seem to be veering to the thumb screw now in their latest iterations.

      Delete
  2. My Ikonix is the same. Part of the ratchet mechanism came adrift part way through a session yesterday, which had me scrabbling around in my bag for something to undo the screw! Can't really complain, for a cheap pin it spins as sweet as a nut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gifted enough to get the best out of a J W Young so as long as it does the biz I'm happy with cheap as chips. A great way of catching mudpigs close in too....

      Delete
  3. There must be something about center pins - I used mine for about a year after it had lost its spin - I don’t get attached to other kit, if I can’t fix it, it goes in the bin. Still got my broken pin though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the factory that makes these reels got it's QA manual from British Leyland.
    After the first one I had fell apart, I now dismantle them and put a drop of Loctite on the screws before rebuilding. Except the spool screw, on which I use WD40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. British Leyland: made with the highest British attention to the
      wrong detail. Mark E Smith was a genius btw.

      Delete
    2. Not any old genius, but a flawed genius at that.

      Delete
  5. Lots of success with your new toy.
    Awesome brown there. I would love to use that photo in my blog, that is with your permission....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have never fished with a pin, is on the list of things to try, I just need to get round to it!

    ReplyDelete