Sunday 14 October 2018

This and that

Friday and just happened to finish up in Sheringham. Big winds coming up but boy was the tide out. Fair bit of spindrift as the strong offshore blow met the flood over those shoals.





Incredibly warm on Saturday, 25C  on the car display. I'd thought about the river but with the strong wind opted for the shelter of the Very Little Water Left. Discovered what I thought at was lime on one of the stages was cormorant shit. Perhaps that explains the wounds on some of the tench.

Piking was the mood but I did set up with the pellet chucker float and mini Source. I have never felt so warm in October, even in shorts and tee shirt. Didn't take long for the  rapidly melting joey to be sucked up and a lovely fresh looking pike of about 7lb was on the mat. 


Rather like last weekend I'd just put back this bream when a smelt was heading out over the flats at a rate of knots.


A real powerhouse performance (from the pike, not the snottie) and it was some relief when the fish was in the net. I wonder if it was the biggie from last week I'd not managed to land? Either way a donkey of a fish. Easily able to manage that bream and I wasn't surprised it went nearly 18 and  a half.


I'd more or less done my work and it wasn't a wrench to wind in briefly for lensman duties when  another member was into  a carp from the cormorant's favoured perch.


Probably just ten pounds we thought and what a glorious mirror. 



I  just hope plenty of rain falls this winter and spring so we can spend many more hours on our Golden Pond.


Storm Callum arrived today and is doing it's best to bring some serious water with it. I got as far as the bridge up in Jasper Farquhart country but after 45 minutes in the car with the rain getting heavier  decided the crays were better off with my quite manky mostly turned casters and headed for home.

























2 comments:

  1. Stunning early season pike - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. See you've been on a few too. I cant wait for a couple of big floods to clear out our small, intimate rivers, my favourite sort of piking. Apart from blasting baits out into massive ressies that is..

      Delete