Saturday 24 November 2018

Scant reward

Off to the Fens yesterday, more grim and grey than Black Friday truth be known.  Fortified  by  a welcome cup of Ringtons  John of Two Terriers fame headed us out into the badlands and on to a new drain he'd been scouting. It was quickly apparent that the drain  was no longer brimful of bait fish and predators, mainly because it wasn't brimful of water and it's near neighbour was being pumped in reverse. Back to nearly square one, indeed within a bone china cup's throw of the resting Terriers.


Nowt on the static fresh lamprey sections and a brief tap tap tap on the second cast with a wobbled micro skimmer. I don't wobble enough these days. I remember our first "proper " rods, 10 footers hand built on Fibatube blanks bought from our metalwork teacher  seemed just right for wobbling with small herrings. Possibly with that Cardinal 155.


As the gloom deepened the roach and rudd began to top and a few came to John's whip.


I'd hoped for some roach from the pounded section at the top of our beat this afternoon but the  roach had other ideas so I headed down  to the second mill beat and a confluence swim. Low, clear but where isn't at the moment and I managed a few expressions of interest but it was  pike roulette as I rushed to get the dace in before they were nabbed. This one was quite brassy and had a drooped snout, most unusual. Almost chub like but not quite.


Whilst looking for unikely chub dace hybrid pictures I found  a link back to one of my blog posts from a much warmer 2012.










No comments:

Post a Comment