Sunday 6 September 2020

Winds of change

Winds of change? Possibly, there is definitely a nip in the air today and it might not even be shorts on. Yesterday was a heads up for seasonal change down on the river anyway. Not sure the hordes of kayakers and paddle boarders would have suggested that but the odd "bite" from  shed poplar leaves might. I'd left the pellets and stuff at home and sallied forth with maggots and worms to see what the fishy gods might tell me.The first time I ever used groundbait was here and it was Winfield white groundbait from Woolies and I was sitting  somewhere on that bank under the poplars marvelling at seeing small fish swimming over the stark white patch on the almost bottomless to me bottom through the clear water. I caught too, gudgeon obviously, and perfect little roach.


Anyway, nearly 50 years on and my first trot saw the float dither and bury and this gorgeous rudd was my glittering prize, much golder than  the picture suggests and a lovely fish.


Roach followed, the smaller ones even  deeper backed than this one and a sure sign of bountiful years to come. And a good autumn and winter once I've found a few more spots, away from the greyer haired than me acolytes led by the National Treasure down in Nirvana. (Unless their backs are turned).


I'd intended on trotting small lives for perch and pike but when I turned to ready the Avon rod for a first run down with an obliging perchlet I discovered it was still in the charabanc. Never mind, I did have some cat and mouse games with a jack that had taken up station just down stream of my landing net. A few dace had also moved in on the loose feed and this was the best, and I decided the last of this short session before any more got chomped..  


Essential tool for pin fishing, well ones that have a screw release for the drum, sometimes for tangles but in thus case a worn fitting on the footplate which needs regular tightening. 


Nice isn't it?

It's my last full day off today for a while and the brood have buggered off for the day, not sure if the next blog will be from the Homestead  for a full on bream blitz or more river meandering with live bait rod remembered. Soup may feature along with a ginger beer.  And probably trousers for the first time since we were released like pent up springs from fishy lockdown.




5 comments:

  1. Have never fished the pin. Should I be looking to buy myself some more tackle!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be best asking santa.

      Delete
    2. Obvs good for trotting but also for things like carp at close range

      Delete
  2. Nice Dace.
    A spot of loctite, or superglue may save a few problems. Had to do it on a couple of pins myself.

    ReplyDelete