Tuesday 30 May 2023

Heinz 57

The Loafer sent me a picture of  a splendid breakfast the had made the other day. Which got us thinking. What is the perfect breakfast? The Holiday Breakfast. The Christmas Day Breakfast. Or an All Day Café Breakfast after an early start? Here is one that is half way there at least. The Commander in Chief rarely does a sossidge and bacon combo, it's usually one or the other.


My perfect breakfast is: Sossidges (plural, 3 if possible). Nice meaty proper ones. Bacon (minimum 3 rashers), smoked back of course. Eggs, fried, nice clean whites and runny yolks . White and black pudding, one round of each. Fried bread (well, that's probably Christmas), just one round of sliced  white (triangles please). Shrooms cooked in butter, natch. Fried left over potatoes or mash. Maldon sea salty fresh ground black pepper. Brown sauce, plenty of fruit and tamarind . Proper black coffee, brown sugar of course.. And one round of white toast and butter (triangles again) to mop the plate. Wait you say, what about the beans? Of course there will be beans. Not in a ramekin. Ever. And probably, no, definitely never Heinz. They taste of the tin and are way over priced. More or less any old baked beans, the key is to cook them low and slow so they are soft and sticky, like the proper Café ones, kept warm under  a salamander. Now, if someone has gone to make them with haricots, ham hock, home reduced tomato puree, molasses and balsamic vinegar on their Range for hours I'll begrudgingly have those  as a second best. Then out with the papers, a big pot of tea and a rack of cold white toast ( triangles) and marmalade.

Which is a long preamble to this weekends Heinz 57 hybrid bothering.  Just the one fish on a get out oft the house foray onto Golden Pond. Crane Man on '/my' Island Paradise so a rare venture along the shade, hence colder City Bank. Pretty as a picture now.



Playing about with light link ledgers and striking bites, not runs off the baitrunner. Lead too light on the corn rod as nothing to strike against and the corn was getting blitzed but a slightly heavier lead  and  mini source saw one hittable take and a spirited dash about on the lighter 1.25 tc rod,.. A flash of copper had me thinking hybrid but it was one of the ponds distinct strains of smaller bream with  pointy fins and a set apart colouration.

 
My post half way there breakfast next day trip saw me hit hybrid pay dirt first cast with the less troublesome flat bed/baitrunner combo. I must have hit the Mother Lode as I had another, and lost one in short order. Fight much better than daddy or mummy it has to be said. First one was around 3lb, the second somewhere around 2lb. (Not 42 inch arms for scale Loafer)



And the smaller of the pair, crushed water mint and all



I've been running down my bait stocks and the last of my mini Source from last year are almost gone, and the 'last cast 'tangle reducing bag was the last of my pva mesh too. Came up trumps with this male tench.






A surprise pikelet and a young gun bream made up the quartet, on what was a pleasant warm afternoon , surrounded by swifts, swallows and house martins. 




10 comments:

  1. You've got the breakfast almost right. Bacon, I prefer streaky, cooked crispy. Sausages similar.
    HP or Daddies sauce.
    Sour dough toast, if you're feeling flush Co Op slow roasted tomato sough dough.
    Fried pots for sure.
    Oh, nice hybrids too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Streaky is for the crabs I'm told. No sourdough for me. Especially at COOP prices.

      Delete
  2. You've been on the fish lately, great stuff !! I rarely have them these days but when I do, I do go overboard, fried bread is a must for me to mop up the beans and has to be decent sausage and decent unsmoked back bacon. Oh and I prefer a grilled tomato. But yes HP sauce is a must

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suffered horrible unsmoked bacon of sorts when I was sent away for a couple of years to a re-education facility at the age of nearly 12 so smoked is a must. I have a few fave brown sauces

      Delete
  3. Baked beans are the only way tomatoes should appear at breakfast. The real thing is borderline healthy which defeats the point of the Full English. The pond likes nice by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a humdinger of a pond this time of year. I'll have tinned Plum toms at a push and have the warm juice laced with balsamic and black pepper to drink...

      Delete
    2. Tinned toms are foul and the hideous juice contaminates everything else. If you must have toms make it a grilled fresh one.

      Delete
    3. Just them on toast, agree about contaminating , speaking of which how can anyone can eat beans with scrambled egg is beyond me, don't belong on same plate

      Delete
  4. #RateMyPlate meets fishing blog = Love it

    ReplyDelete