Monday 9 September 2024

When Sunday comes

Not a bad start to Sunday though I struggled with the sossidges, 3 is plenty and I'm leaning to 2 these days. Linconshires, I've gone off Cumberlands.


Bit of a river day ahead. One rod, me big green bucket, a slimmed down tackle box and  an unhooking mat to sit on. 

Long walk up to the end of the old stretch, hoping to check out the newly acquired add on bit. Looks inviting but nettle city and I'd only donned shorts. (luckily the horse flies must have been eating people alive elsewhere).


First sit down swim had a near slack and glide across but weed in between so skimmed the edge of that, and plenty of sharp dips until I got my eye in and they were mostly chublets like this. A good sign for the future as not many other chub under 5lb about.


Fished a few more gaps down, some less weedy but all had fish in, dace and roach mostly but not comfortable swims to fish until I found a nice run down a briar bush with a flat high bank to fish from so I could see the float a fair trot down. Had to bring the fish up with feed but they were mainly better roach like this.



One move below the briar and a more exaggerated slack/weed/glide and holding a lot more fish (roach, dace, chublets) and my nemesis the minnow. I did notice that the fish felt cold to the touch.













A quick sample

And when you're bagging ol'essox often turns up. If you're lucky you often get them in














Got a bit black over Will's mothers so made the long trek back to the charabanc with seconds to spare.


Pub calling but didn't fancy Ceaser salad or beef lazange or anything with potatos .


















so made do with a Madri all the way from Tadcaster and Scampi Fries (not from  a fishery) 


Down the farm track to my river just  time for Smith to hole out after putting more effort in than the rest of the England batters put  together. Bit of  a walk to find  a gap in the rosebay and a good steady run  down to an overhanging willow. Dace, lots of them and a much better stamp too. 


Throw in some cracking roach and  a much weightier bag, in a lot less time, and not a minnow in sight. Packed in early as a much bigger pike was making serious lunges at fish being bought in.










6 comments:

  1. A nice selection of fishes. I bet the pike will go into hiding come winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bag, and I don't just mean the scampi fries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pleasant day Waaak.
    I prefer my bacon and sausage a bit "well done".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon needs to be crisper but sossij not so much

      Delete