Sunday 21 January 2018

Dace?

Just taken delivery of a new 15 foot Greys rod to widen my armoury so off out I went into the wet and gloom with some reds that were mostly caster. As I crossed the bridge below the mill a fish rolled so mind made up. It was gone 4 and already the gloom was descending so I reckoned only a few trots  worth of light left. The flow was fairly stiff close down so the extra two feet of rod came into play to peel just that bit more off the pin to allow a cast to the slower  zone and once I'd sorted the depth the float stabbed under and that characteristic  near grayling corkscrew struggle and a rather red finned dace was in my hand. Next fish felt different and when it neared the net I'd have almost said skimmer or little hybrid but it seemed to be a deeper and paler than normal dace.


The rod? The two extra feet do make a big difference, especially holding the line off the water. Not a rod for close quarters stuff to be sure. It has a short removable lower handle section, perhaps to help balance the rod if it's in the hand for a long period? Need a more thorough work out, and with  a fixdie too, and may be far bank waggler will come in to play. Very nice to play fish on. Don't fancy my chances with an errant pike though.


A very brief light show this morning out the front of Bureboy Villas.


Murk soon prevailed.









7 comments:

  1. BB, I've got an earlier green version of the same rod, great with stewed wheat under the rod tin on the drains. I was going to go out yesterday but it snowed and rained non-stop until dusk then it started torrential rain. Wednesday I think or tomorrow if the freezer arrives early enough. John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rods tend to be grey with identikit black whipping these days. Probably all from the same Chinese factory and just badged. Go to it tomorow or Wednesday. I'm hatching a plan for a raid on the Yare for Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't fish at all - my river is over the banks and like choc soup......serves me right for giving up my chalk stream tickets!! Tight lines, Dickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear tomorrow's onslaught from Georgina may put the Yare inthe fields. For you John it may herald a big pump down.

      Delete
  4. I can't fish at all - my river is over the banks and like choc soup......serves me right for giving up my chalk stream tickets!! Tight lines, Dickie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15 footers are all the rage at Alton at the mo.

    ReplyDelete