Sunday 31 March 2019

Mudpigging

Spent Saturday afternoon with a chill wind on my neck and a splitting headache trying out some heli-rig set ups before the weed gets away. I can see they'll be tangle resistant and I really should do some maggot feeder fishing for tench but I bet I fall back on open ended feeders with  a wider range of hookbaits, I always do.

Had a wafter on  a bag down the edge as well and as I was just finished putting away the feeder rods it was away. I was fishing that rod to the left of  an  aerator (turned off) and wanted to avoid the rope leading up to the marker buoy so did rather hustle the fish in on the 3lbtc 12 footer and did think it felt tenchy. The gob looked quite big and if it was a tench.....as it neared the waiting net  chain mail scales gave the game away and I hoisted a very fat common on to the mat. My first from the water, having usually tempted bream and tench on the tactic from here.

I didn' weigh it for some reason, we thought about 14 lb though. An old healed otter nip to the upper lobe of the tail but otherwise a gorgeous plump ole mudpig of a thing.









2 comments:

  1. BB,

    Don't quite get the gig? If you can be bothered to catch it, surely a trip to the weigh sling isn't a problem. This way the stats are real and not further fuel to the "all liars go fishing" caper. Maybe you've caught enough 14 lbs carp to not bother? Just an observation, nothing more.
    Take care & tight lines - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know why I didn't weigh it to be honest. Don't catch that many carp so I'm usually keen to know what they weigh if they look a double.

    ReplyDelete