Friday 8 March 2019

Two rivers, two mills.

Given the better forecast I headed back to the Wensum in the City reaches up by New Mill's Yard, this time with half a pint of caster and some hemp  as well as the usual reds. Bit more pace and a touch more colour from yesterday's rain but much calmer. New Mills is a pumping station to move sewage through faster. Its a magnet for all sorts and is the tidal limit for the Wensum with  passes for migratory fish. Eels anyway. Most days what ever the date and season you'll usually see rods poking over the railings. Fishing in the city limits is free but access  can be a problem with high banks and railings.



Back on the B520's today, much finer in the wire as befits the choice of caster. I did start with red maggot on the hook whilst I got the hemp and caster going in. And of course the 5AAA Avon, with that bulked down above a micro swivel, 2.6lb  hook link, a #8 dropper and a  #16 B520 spade end. I have found you need to go to nearly half way to get numbers of fish. Near track a fair bit shallower and mostly small perch.


First decent fish was in fact a perch and I soon switched to caster as bites were now frequent


This was one of two dace I caught, sand paper rough and the other was a pigeon chested female. That's a white disgorger  but as you see I mostly use red  maggot and always keep the disgorger in the bait box so I don't loose it. It came out more as the hook is pattern is a bit shorter.



First of the better roach. Calmer but colder today, haven't worn the coat to fish for a while now


The now obligatory three trots, thee fish shot  as the sun got above the flats behind.


One draw back of city fishing is the absence of pee places. I'd wandered down to the works to try to find a spot. I got back to the smell of cigarette smoke and phone talk about giving themself in after the weekend and what block they might  end up in.The possible fugitive sat at the top of the steps obviously keen on fishing. I thought how to casually move my phone and camera. "Ha, you missed that bite taking that photo mate".  


The biggest of the day but my new found friend had a higher view of one that certainly felt significantly better which he confirmed. 


He'd just gone after asking about some fish he'd seen in the summer with spotted tails when this little fella turned up. Not sure if it was a brown or a sea trout Parr. The biggest recorded sea trout from the Wensum was a mahoosive 23lb, taken by a pike angler


My caster and hemp had gone and I was on the reds. The tide must have started to flood, despite the float still going downstream (the pumped push through the works is quite fierce and a long way from the sea)  the level had risen by several inches and was encroaching on the sill I was sitting on, with a resultant wet foot so I headed off for another pool on another river for the last hour of my allotted time.


I really must be on a roach streak as I hardly caught any dace which is most unusual but several of these.


The obligatory brownie on maggot


And it's bigger mate, and of course on worm.















No comments:

Post a Comment