Sunday 11 August 2019

Croc'o'deeel

Fished into the teeth of the wind, well it was warm enough so why not. Not easy to see the bites but picked up two fish anyway on the Source under a puddle chucker.  A lull.


First was this gorgeous yellow bellied tench. Lean but not mean. A real tail slapper of a fish.




Then a big surprise and one I am still not sure how I got into the net with the 5lb line intact and on a stepped up waggler rod. I usually have the 42 inch net set up in case I get a big mud pig and when I saw the head like a dustbin over the net cord I was rather pleased I'd set it up.


If the pike had had the body to go with the head and at the back end of the season the scales  might have nearly gone round fully twice. As it was 19.04 was registered and taking off the net that came to 17.08. One of the Golden Pond crocs with an eel's body. Couldn't see any traces in the throat. I guess they don't have much depth to swim in and they do take quite large goslings as a common place thing.
i





4 comments:

  1. A beauty of a summer pike, hopefully she’ll bang on the weight in winter -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They often have croc heads on there, I'll start the Flickling pre-baiting..

      Delete
  2. That's a cracker and so much more fun when caught on the "wrong" tackle. Did it take the bait off the bottom or was it moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dyl, static but with only 2 #1 shot so I expect the bait was wafting a bit when the fish were milling round over the pellets. They often fall for a static bit of meat ( and I use smallish chunks) or a pop up. I was using a 12mm bottom Source mini. They really do tempt everything

      Delete