Monday 24 June 2024

Bankside bashing

The river looked brown, listless and moribund. So I went after some scaly rod benders. A bit like small wild river brownies. Lovely to look at with so many variations and pull back a a bit. Trouble is, they are so easy to catch so  you do get a bit meh after an hour or so. Won't stop me  going back though.

Yesterday the river still looked a non rain induced brown but it had a bit of flow and life about it so  l set off for an explore. I've had two consecutive mishaps with already cannibalised so slightly small pawls on my Advanta RVS pin so rather than take a bodge stick through the drum lash up I had a Hyperloop 1000 rear drag 'fixed' on the light as the wind Drennan Waggler rod in place of the heavier Specimen rod. I say fixed, the plastic sliding reel fittings haven't shrunk as much a s the cork handle and I need to deploy  a Two Terriers  patented artisan lolly stick as a shim.

No balsam to bash but plenty of rank vegetation to hack down to access likely spots, not that pleasant in the sticky evening heat surrounded by biting and stinging things and no guarantee of  a clear glide once the river itself was reached. Two spots had a few trotting yards but for now at least no comfortable place to sit to fish on a mat so standing it would have to be. Hadn't bought any bread or hemp to tease them up the glide so bites were coming a little too far down the glide for comfort but I didn't have to bat back when I missed. Dace yes, but enough lovely roach like this one to consider it worthwhile coming back to open a gap about 15 yards down.


Dropped down to the next spot, trotting to cover with a bit more pace. Certainly more dace here, with the odd roach now and then.it went a bit quiet and perhaps this was why. Give me a bit of a tussle as well.


I left as the dew began to fall and the azure kingfishers and damselflies melted away. An hour after wine o'clock said the charabanc cabin display accusingly and the Commander in Chief wasn't best  pleased. Who daces wins






4 comments:

  1. Pike. Buggering swims in summer. No sign of them in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to re negotiate curfew time with the CIC I think.
    Nice roach boi.

    ReplyDelete