Saturday 27 April 2019

Lens man to bagging man


Glorious Easter weather continued and off to the Glaven valley with one half of the Little Un duo in the trusty Bureboi Charabanc. We always have to look at the door (harvest ) mice and have a pond dip


I always have to have  a look at the river, just in case and there were some perfect little chalk stream brownies  here and there.


Lunch time and it would have been rude to say no...


My stint behind the lens continued as in quite glorious sunshine I was called away from my nearly lifeless rods to do the honours again with some spawn ready male bream.



A couple of evenings later and we were treated to a spectacular, if brief sundowner.


I felt that it must be my turn to have a bent rod so called in on a mature fishery in another nearby chalk stream valley, this time the Burn. Time has been kind to the fishery  with lots of little nooks to  get away from the sometimes maddening crowd.


The water contains mostly carp and bream and is the turbid colour you'd expect with plenty of tails upended in the  flinty marginal areas. I'd  put a beefier standard bag and 15mm Source wafter rod tight to the  cover to my right and draw more fish to an open area with a lighter method set up and  12mm source bottom bait.



This isn't moulded feeder tight (I'd left the mould at home) but you get the drift. Everything in one little tangle free package with a cherry on top.


The ticket man had barely pocketed my dosh before I was unhooking a reasonable bream in the margins and sending the little ball of flatbed in line goodness back out into the feeding zone. You know they're on it when the bobbin won't stay down when you try to clip it to the line.


The fish are very well coloured in the main, even in the coloured water. A range of strain and sizes came my way, this one was quite metallic, and pulled back way above it's small stature.


This was the largest, and came to the standard set up.


I do love those fizzing baitrunner takes and for brief seconds feel I could slip back into the #carpy world then I take a strong swig of throat tickling ginger beer and come to my senses. I have read that you should get inside the head of your quarry so I went for the particle based late lunch, in this case pearly barley and barlotti beans with a chimchurri sauce. As someone commented on my Insta post of this "watch out for that big pink one..."


Resting up.



I don't know if you do it but every thing gets put way until there is just the rods on the grass and latterly the baitrunner set. Back in the day it was the rear drag loosened right off on the Cardinal 155's. and this little skimmer obliged today.


I did pop onto Golden Pond for a chilly hour after another particle based tea (rice with some tasty prawn tempters) and mostly fed some more bait. The Spicy Sausage is something else.


I've marked out my rod rest territory on my beloved island though the Canada Geese are nestingbehind the swim.















No comments:

Post a Comment