Saturday 18 May 2019

Catching the red eye

Grey and drizzle all day but a window post-tea so off on to Golden Pond I went. One rod, the faithful Drennan Specimen and Tench 13 footer would be my choce of weapon for a quick raid on the tincas (snotties  not withstanding). The usual Spicy Sausage pellets and a mini Source on the buisnes end. Tightened up to the 4 gramme Puddle Chucker and it dipped and slid to the left, all slow and purposeful. A firm strike to the right and the rods' generous fighting curve was put to good use as I was up and off the handy garden chair and to my right. The pads were rocking and silt billowing up in red puffs as the tench tried it's hardest to reach deep sanctuary. In more open water I could enjoy the surging power more, no giving up and sliding to the net snottie style and that red eye burning  bright as the battle continued in the stink net. This  red eye. In all it's teddy bear loveliness with the softly menacing clouds reflected.


I don't think I'd ever need to weigh a tench from here but always good for scale (groan.....).


I nearly packed up there and then, first cast job done etc but and like the snotties, where there is one tinca, there will be more and for now those softly menacing clouds were holding their passive aggressive payload  in reserve so out with a fresh bait and the next  bite was fluffed completely. No bow waves of panic so out again and this time the kook struck home and another surging dive  then the float was hurtling back towards me like a missile with it's 4 gramme base laser guided towards me. A small silver scale on the point of the QM1, and given the power probably more likely to have been from one of the hybrids than a straight up snottie. By now the drizzle had started but in for a penny in for a pound and I covered things up and slunk under the birch. Another slide away and
boooom, fish on. Another angry tail slapping tinca, this one with a yellow belly and gulping out great gouts of silty water mudpig stylee. A longer variant and the early gloom needing the flash. The drizzle had set in so I upped sticks much earlier than expected but satisfied with my quick red eye sortie. The beauty of being 5 minutes from door to gate. And being able  to wring out every last second if needed before the clarion call of the muezzin summoning the faithful to supplication (wine o'clock).







No comments:

Post a Comment