Thursday 4 January 2018

Harbinger

Tuesday and against my better judgement, the red morning sky and forecasts of heavy rain from 12 I set  off with too many plans in my head. The river was rushing through the mill and a boat from way upstream was wedged in an eddy.

I decided on the faintly blue lagoon which looked calm and inviting I am sure you will  agree.


One faint dip on the waggler and nothing at all on the blueys and so I upped sticks to the river, thinking the rain looked a lessening possibility. Most of the water was actually coming down the forbidden creek rather than the main river and I found a nice run with even paced water and searched hard with  stick and red maggot. Just the one dip again. More determined dipping on the down stream bluey and  a spirited tussle ensued. A pike of 7-8 which unhooked itself as I grabbed the trace to chin it in. Not my by now good old friend then. And with that it began to rain. And rain. And rain. The bib and brace got a good testing and I could face some more wet chub sessions with less gear to dry at home later. The chub? Not interested in the slightest in double or treble lobs and I didn't even get to the stinky cheesepaste into dark stage. The cloud base was so low I couldn't see the corvids noisily searching  above for their roost. Perhaps they couldn't see it either.

One plan next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment