Monday 9 April 2018

Just deserts

Weather foul again. Did have  quick look at the river on Saturday, quite low but still carrying  a lot of colour. Celandines look lovely.


Put some graft in on Sunday morning, paying my dues as it were. Good to be with a sensible group of blokes. Wished them well with their day, conditions looking spot on despite the mizzle. By the time I got to my chosen stillwater  the umbrella was still required but only really to shelter my stuff. and myself a bit. Virtually no wind so little tow. When  the float moved it was a bite.... I have developed  a very stupid habit of throwing my little and often ground bait in overhand and not very well. Must sort that out. Brolly didn't help and in the end I just covered my gear up and put up with getting wet.

Despite my erratic feeding had a really good afternoon/early evening. A lot of smaller roach and just a bit bigger skimmers and hybrids on double maggot and enough dog roach to keep me concentrating.  I love the almost imperceptible burying of the float the bigger ones seem to give on here, and waiting for that thump on the strike 


This one really made my trip. Straight away it felt better, and once I saw that red flash I knew I had to get it in. A bit of  a warrior and big in the beam. A very solid 1lb 3oz.


I had a flutter when one stayed very deep, more power than thump so was sure it wasn't  a big roach or hybrid. Let down by the small net, it was a reasonable pike that must have snaffled the small roach as it took the maggot, it spat out the mangled roach as I tried to get it into the teaspoon sized thing.

To damp and cold to stay into dusk, will come back for that and target the bigger fish on the drop off with a pole and more accurate feeding. 

Mostly jays,  buzzards and a yaffle or two today. There were lots of dead and mangled frogs round the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment