Wednesday 15 August 2018

Smoke gets in your eyes

Eased the charabanc along the M11 and through the Blackwall Tunnel to collect some stuff and to "take some pictures for your blog Dad..".

Deptford is on the rise, not the faux artisan puff of Peckham yet but certainly going places. The station has new signage and there is a growing food area, but still the sub- car boot dross market too. Some of the stuff on there was not even Stalham car boot  knuckle dragger standard.. Who wants one smeggy trainer?


Bread. Again

John Evelyn was a big plantsman cheese way back when hence the long street and park bearing his name. Check for  Novichok chaps. The Mulberry tree was rather small for 320 years despite Peter the Great's best efforts.


Of a similar age is St Peters, built by Thomas Archer in the Italianate Baroque style. It was descried by Betjeman as being a pearl in the heart of Deptford. It is certainly a striking building.


It's square has a most un-English feel about it as well.


Something very London English by claim but with an strong immigrant origin is the pie or eel shop.


Some very healthy dissent featured here. One for the Essex Scribbler.


Ex pub. The Princess of Wales.


Along the Thames Path is the Surrey Docks area.


I grew up in two Colne shipbuilding ports and an abiding memory is the smell of fibreglass. That was abundant here. Not the ever present riveting of Wivenhoe James W. Cook's Yard though.




We ate well as well. Marcella on Deptford High Street. Italian, bare basic but what a fabulous veal ragu though. I learnt not to order large, about 5 more strips of lovely fresh pasta for 7 quid more.  One of those places where the kitchen is in full view. The kitchen team seemed happy and relaxed. Not sure what the masking tape was being used for. Oh, and sparkling water for the table. Most agreeable.


Very nice lemon and bay ice cream. Fresh bay is a wonderful herb I think.






















5 comments:

  1. Lovely post BB, I take it you were 'doing a Pickfords'. That ice cream sounds good really good. Still struggling with three Jack Russells and a 100 year old here. I swear I will get out fishing. Eventually. John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickforfds r us indeed John. I need some stewed wheat fishing tips on the town river. I'll let you know when I'm down your way and you can pop out briefly and show me the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know the day before and I'll prepare a flask-full. I'm on Tuesday on the wheat and bread hoping for a decent roach, I'll keep you posted. My problem is tying small hooks on and where can you get a fine round bend to nylon these days to help people with sausages for fingers and variety-focals? maybe I should just take up sea fishing. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll consult the Commander in Chief. On the other hand I might slip a whip in the charabanc. Just in case.

      Delete