Sunday 17 October 2021

Caster blaster.

Lovely mild autumn afternoon and a pint of casters to use up. Throw in a tin of hemp and that's a good recipe for roach. Wind over my shoulder and nice calm water in front so ideal for a fine tipped waggler dotted down to a mere blip. #14 B560.wide in the gape and fine in the wire. Perfect. No afternoon bonfire smoke but a local church bell practice making up for it.


I've never really found that casters do actually produce bigger fish but there is something about the delicate bites they seem to produce, and when dotted down like today the float just melts away.  I had decided no pellet or corn to see if I could target just roach and it nearly worked perfectly. 


Three small hybrids (here are two of them) and a tench that eventually left the hook in a lily stem after the hard grunt. 


Otherwise it was roach a chuck. None needed the landing net, the one that would have didn't make it as it was smashed into by a decent pike that took quite some time to decide to bite me off. I kept some in the big landing net for a piccy. A most splendid afternoon.








5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dint often keep more than a handful for a quick net shot but sometimes it's nice to see a few more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed it. Might have ago with a long whip to hand before it gets cold.

      Delete