Wednesday 20 December 2023

Stout Doubts?

Never been one for a Guinness, bit like some Adnams beers when the toast taste is that little too burnt. I've been working through my excellent birthday beers and as well as the current fad grapefruity ales in the  Kirkstall Brewery box were a few stouts. The pick of these was their Drop Hammer. Which the label probably told me referred to a heavy pressing tool in the steel industry. What I did knew it told me was the ABV. 10%. Not one for  a chaser night cap before an early drive. It (they,  I had 2 cans in the box) was absolutely blooming gorgeous. Even more gorgeous than a Champion. So, if you come across some, buy some.

 

I even got out for a short fish on Saturday. The mill  looked ok on my recce but so did the Aquarium.
A pint of some fake Spanish lager and some quite nice nuts by Nobby first.


Quite acceptable but no Drop Hammer, though at a fairly reasonable pub price of 5.75  probably cheaper than the Drop Hammer would be in a craft beer outlet for a single can.

I did give the pool a whirl but too much floating debris. I did winkle out this brownie though which went well on the end of my line.


Bit more action on the Aquarium, a lot of small stuff but  a couple of better roach and dace. Corn and hemp and bait dropper next time  I think. Oh, and I'll have to knock up a little bait waiter to hang on the railing as it's a stand up jobbie.














6 comments:

  1. The Drop Hammer is rather nice stuff. I was rather concerned, before I tried it, with the aged in Bourbon, Irish Whiskey, whatever casks but it doesn't seem to have harmed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not bad. Northern Monk North star is good too.

      Delete
  2. I'll look out for that, sounds right up my street. I do like an imperial stout, in-fact got a couple lined up from Thornbridge Brewery called Necessary Evil, as you say not cheap, but then you do tend to get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete