Wednesday 16 May 2018

Down the rambling road

This year is the year of the red campion. It's everywhere. Flipping gorgeous it is. And the long frothy verges of white, white cow parsley (kek) and hawthorn.


Following the Wensum valley back home stopped in for a look see at the new water (s). Above the bypass there is a long stretch of quite wild river, fly only in the summer but within a week or three it'll be chock full of weed. Don't think coarse fish get a chance to establish but I did see some dace and the anglers sort of curse, many minnows. Heard some tales from Dolly 9-5 Bailey about establishing a  head of grayling back in the day from the next mill upstream 



I had  a modicum of tackle  in the New Charabanc "just in case"  Stopped to watch some mud pigs getting quite animated about some floaters  as befitted the increasingly hot conditions but the venerable piscator  at the other end didn't add to his tally of two doubles whilst I watched anyway.


Where do you go when the sun is high for tench at least? Even a small group of pads, especially in  some shade is always a good bet I'd say.


Some interest fairly early on over a sprinkling of pellet, but  it wasn't till I slipped two very realistic but strawbery glugged fake red maggot on the #14 to compliment the hair rigged mini Source that the float shot off and I was quite pleased I'd chosen a spot with some open water to the right as the tench I'd hooked had a right go. See what I mean about those fake maggots?




Feeling a little cocky I packed up having  done what I set out to do. Plus I had plans for later..

I hope that's a bank of cloud on the horizon and not an approaching tsunami...


Oddly enough tench shaped plans and a quick stint on a sadly gosling free very local water gave up the goods again on the waggler fished Source. This one fought even better. Think someone had been in the swim previously given the corn it was coughing up.







  







2 comments:

  1. Got to love spring, everything just comes alive from the winter slumber....and the flower and fauna are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably my favouirite time but then there's autumn......

      Delete