Sunday 17 June 2018

Follow those hunches.

Got the nod for a couple of hours yesterday evening  so off the the river. Thought I'd start in the bridge pool as it well oxygenated and has some nice shade cover. Greys 15 footer with an Advanta Ikon centre pin and  a fairly sturdy stick. Had some caster but went with red maggot to start. Action not as brisk as I had hoped but enough to make me smile.


Think the gudgeon, my season opener would have just about been manageable for this brightly coloured perch. They're always this pretty in the clear water.


I kept thinking about a another spot,  much broader  with a good deep run close-ish in. I'd seen one of the white haired and whiskered members, you know the sort, safari hat and  a bucket of mashed bread  and a tin of Werthers on the dash getting into some decent back end roach but when I had a couple of looks afterwards it was painfully clear or flooding through. I had tried it the winter before for pike but had too much bother with belligerent Halfingers. 

Last night though it was looking spot on, with some cabbages close in but a good depth of water. I figured the 15 footer and heavyish float would be ok and so it proved., first swing in and the float dithered and stabbed under. Not a big fish but it was the roach my hunch was telling me would be there.


Given the depth the float stabbed under I raised the float a good 18 inches and settled into a feed, swing, mend line and strike routine and most times was into a fish, darting and twisting with flashes of red. Pretty indicitve of the stamp of fish caught.


Absolute jewels.


The wind became troublesome and the dace more insistent so called it an earlyish night. Think the area will be just right for autumn or back end dusk sessions with bread or maybe a lob tail. Worth following that hunch.





No comments:

Post a Comment