Sunday 27 January 2019

Best laid plans

Despite still being lergied, and with 50mph winds suggested, with 63% chance of rain I got myself on the river for an hour this afternoon. I swapped the pin for a small fixed spool  but kept the 15 footer as I would be fishing over the fast water so needed to keep the line up. The maggots were mostly casters and the ones that weren't were quite torpid. I also stepped up considerably to a 5AA cane avon given the swirling water and wind.


The currents and wind were as mixed up as I'd thought they would be but not in the little shelter I had between the tank trap blocks.  I was able to keep the line up and off the water and not too badly wind affected given the length of the rod but was finding I had far less control  fishing open bale with the finger on the spool and perhaps because the little 1000 Hyperloop was perhaps under gunned for the rod and not really positioned well. I'd actually have managed to avoid line wrap round the pin where I was sitting and had far more control if I'd stuck to my guns.


However, despite missing or just pricking several fish I found dace in most spots round the pool. Nothing of great size but all hand or hand plus. The strong flow meant that the Greys was often nicely bent as well.


I picked up one roach just where I thought there might be one which was pleasing. I haven't seen many cormorants but a lot of the fish did have telltale signs


There were several slashes in the whiter water but no trout fell to the bait today. The last fish was the best,  it didn't thump or go airborne so I guessed it might be a chublet and it was. Just about attaining chub size I'd say.....



I'd had another delirium affected hour on Friday, this time for pike. A blank that left me thinking a bit and perhaps leading to further experimentation. We'll see.





2 comments:

  1. Ha! Title of my last blog entry as well, although I would have been better with my long rod and fixed spool. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it was! I'd love some grayling fishing but what we have had in proper Norfolk have long since gone and I'd wager precious few if any now in the Little Ouse and Thet on our borders.

      I think with fixed spool trotting aftyere a while of since geting a pin you need the finger to nicely drop to the spool rim from the rod handle just before you strike, the next size up Shimano might be a better bet next time out. I also fidg the modern trend of having a sliding screw fiting within the front of the rod handle, though neat does tend to make that a fair bit bigger.

      And I went to work so suppose bearing up!

      Delete