Sunday 13 December 2020

Using my loaf..a bit.

Rain incoming my app told me so I packed a brolly (hate them) and headed for Twin Tips favoured spot. He wasn't there so the bread was unloaded from the charabanc to lace the crease along the main flow via  a 20gram cage feeder.


Bites came from the off, but either my reactions were too slow, or the tip too unforgiving but I couldn't convert any. There  were plenty of fish there it seemed but very frustrating. I swapped from flake to worm sections, tipped with  red maggots and the bites became more bold, and hittable as they hung on a bit longer. Roach and dace, nothing requiring a net but bites converted. Id like to say it was bucolic  but there was a driven shoot in progress and  a man trotting cockles (?) under  a sliding float that would have looked in place off Eddystone Light and someone making serious splashes above the  red bricked bridge. My bellowed what the feck are you doing was met with an indignant "fishing". I  imagine with a very large magnet.

A drizzle set in then abated so I swapped over to the 15 footer and though the wind (a sneaky one) meant line control was hampered I had enough to search the crease better and the size of the roach and dace increased enough to warrant the net most times.


A glance at the watch and I had an hour and three quarters to get to Roach Reach and fish before it got to dark to trot so I bundled everything into the charabanc and was soon sliding along the muddy path. Sheltered here so no troublesome wind and fish were already rolling. A familiar figure in Second Best so I found a respectfully distanced spot and set about checking the depths and building the the loose fed  red maggots up before starting a feed /trot regimen. They wanted it just at the end of the run by a bush and every other trot usually produced a coconut, this red eyed jewel being the first to grace the net.


Apart from one little un they all needed the net and the rain held off. The familiar figure and I both thought it would come tomorrow. Two pulled back harder than the rest and what lovey roach they were



Last trot, couldn't see the float properly but struck when I thought it  had reached the sweet spot and fish on!

 
Back in the charabanc in time to hear Naarich  maintain their place at the top of the Championship away at Blackburn so all in all a grand afternoon.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful roach - must go and catch one or two myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! A species I have sadly neglected...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Roach are beautiful! I have almost forgotten what they look like so thanks! Super redfins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are much fresher than last season, got some growing room too.

      Delete