Saturday 8 May 2021

Mojo gets rinsed right off

Last weekend was spent either cowering under a brolly or wishing I'd packed one. Both trips were on the Next Nearest and were hardly a fish fest. Saturday and this is as exciting as it got under the brolly.  Two jangly takes missed, probably roach or skimmers and a baitrunner fizzer that came off, but not before at least feeling like a solid barry bream. Did get to hear my first cuckoo of the year though.

 

When Sunday Came it was bright enough to make a garden centre trip to put some greenery in the vegetable plot. I say green, a lot of mixed colours really with beetroot,  chard and cut and come again salad plugs as well as some courgettes  and icebergs. No more frosts please......this winter has done for most of the pot stuff like french lavender and pelargoniums that I'd kept going for two or three years so they are being replenished as well. Retirement may mean taking cuttings and pottering about a bit more, the wallflowers I sowed  and transplanted last year have done well and I ought to sow things like Cosmos to fill in when the forced bought ones go over late summer. 

Anyhoo, thought I'd go with just the waggler rod and as everyone knows you can't fish the waggler under a brolly. Might as well as have tried,  a perch and a tiny roach were my scant reward, half of the session seemed to be a hail laden tempest. At least the wind had some warmth in it which helped dry off a bit in lulls. One way to harden off the bedding plants..

I've often mentioned the furloughed pike and they certainly have come to associate bankside activity with fairly safe freebies. The cold eyes of a killer.


So what next? I've just added a 4 lake ticket and a new river stretch and I haven't really started on the commute waters so  I do need to freshen up my view (from under a brolly or not) but  until rising water temperatures pep things up it is making me a bit indecisive and the mojo has taken a bit of a rinsing of late.  And certainly I can't wait for the 17th and being able to chose to sit inside for  a coffee and lemon drizzle on my travels and not tough it out in hail and gales. 

Normal for Norfolk, a Spitfire over Langham Airfield which I'd never noticed before.



   





2 comments:

  1. Just not the weather for drumming up enthusiasm, whether gardening or fishing.

    ReplyDelete