Tuesday 15 March 2022

Clearing away the cobwebs.

Thought I'd end the season where I started on a  lovely little urban stretch of the Wensum. 16th June was a real sweltrerer, and Monday was a no coat day. Busy little stretch but the bread feeders could at least keep some of the suicide squad ducks away from my lose fed and hook baits. White and red maggot, under a slightly undershotted float big enough to drag over the bait  over the bottom and that I could see with my aging eyes down the glides. Bulk shot down and a #6 dropper and a #16 wide gape fine wire spade end. B560, natch.


Bright sun, and pacey, clear water with little or no weed, find the cover and slightly deeper, darker water. Little and often, keep 'em chasing after the bait. And first run down bingo. A lovely little brownie, first of many and such variations and colours. And game little blighters, though a bit splashy at times









This was the biggest of the day and he/she/they sat there for a good time till I poked it with the net when netting a companion. Something to show a couple of the dog walkers, one who told me he used to live next to the Cherwell. Nice old chap, shirt, tie, jacket, light raincoat (yes) and a nice neat little tache and  a cap.  Classic Werthers sucker.
 

Of course I wasn't targeting them, hoping instead for roach and dace, and I began to think how best next season to get though the brownies to them. Bright things as you would imagine living in the clear water and a joy to behold.















20 brownies in and I thought I  needed a break and a change of swim. Cream of Chicken soup this time, nice and hot but a little bland.  Ginger beer time soon. 


And a nice swim too, with fewer overhead temptations for my float. These fish do pull back in the  faster water and are great fun to play on the pin.


More roach and dace in this swim though I did add another 10 brownies to the tally.









 

















And this is the last fish of the season before it being drawn to an untimely end as after another tangle, line guard or not, necessitating  removal of the spool the ratchet pawl dropped out into the grass and was lost for good.  ( I have since cannibalised one from an old Ikon). 30 brownies. 12 roach and 6 dace. I'll take that.




6 comments: