Sunday 13 March 2022

Gets me out of the hoiuse

Mood much improved  I had a short afternoon on the river to see what was occurring. Amazing what a bit of sun can do for you. And views like this.


Too much coming through main sluice, I understand that the workings are in  a parlous state and as a result aren't really used effectively which makes the pool a lot harder to fish, rushes water down to the last sluices on the non tidal which means they are often open to and the river is often very low. But I don't live on top of  a river with real danger to my life and property. But I still  had a few casts rolling some worms around the back eddies.











And winkled out this tiny but lovely brownie. We have some absolute lumps on the river now and it will be interesting to see if any come out to wets and nymphs before the LFR kayakers get on them in June. 

I had pike on my mind, the river was low but not ripping through so headed down to the Noddy train bridge with a plan to work back up to the bend below the mill. Had a look over the bridge, but not a dace or roach to be seen on the gravels. Normally a sure fire spot. Where have they gone?

The Noddy train bridge with a Noddy train puffing by 

Often silk weed here so clipped on a lifter before swinging out the still frozen smelt. 


Was  was that a nod on the upstream rod?


It was  and a couple more before the float dipped and headed up to the  mill. No cray this one but a lively jack twisting and surging. Passers by took no notice at all. I'm an anti-social bugger so perhaps they sensed that...



Got to be something here?


Nothing I could entice and so it proved till half way up to the bend before a sudden chill wind had me heading home for a fish and chip supper.  Amongst the cray remains and otter spraints dotted along each likely spots I found something very rare. White dog poo. Now, white dog poo was common place and according to my parents was the wastes of that strange beast, the poodle. Oh how we smirked about it's name. And the owner was most likely to be awfully common and vulgar. We were told they probably said toilet, not lavatory and most certainly read the Sun. All that aside, when did you last see white dog poo? Or pooh as we were taught.

 
 







4 comments:

  1. Lovely day out. White dog shite is commonplace here. Leave it long enough to dry out and you'll have more than enough. Poodle or no poodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Essex is the home of white dog shit, it's all coming back to me now.

      Delete