Sunday 30 October 2022

Like a well oiled machine

I'm of that age when it's time to start caring for my parents, who are having a rocky time and share some of the load with my younger brother so I'll be up and down the dreary A140 for a while. Rods or cameras in car just in case anyway. Today it was wet as well as dreary, and finding the Stour in Stratford St Mary static and gin clear I moped around the chocolate box village of Dedham as the rain turned to drizzle before  checking out the mill pool. Plenty of small stuff topping with a flash of bigger below so I headed back for a quick pint before getting the rod out for an hour before heading off to see the olds. A very mediocre pint of Broadside as it happens.


Anyhoo, I set about the business of coaxing the float down an even more mediocre leaf strewn Suffolk Stour. The Loafer turned up to see me put on a shambolic display of ineptitude. He claimed a sort of victory by at least looking accomplished whilst having a go with my rod despite  not being able to hit a barn door with a banjo bite wise 


I at least could hit most of the bites despite failing at everything else, a small perch, some lovely roach and the odd rudd/roachy type thingy. 


I think a lot of the small fish topping were these, bleak.


We need a couple of really big floods to wash everything through and some frosts to kill off some of the rank bankside stuff like the willow herb that is still everywhere




12 comments:

  1. Thats a shame, I do like a Broadside. Some nice fish caught, I still have yet to catch a bleak, not sure they are plentiful up here. Think the Ouse would be my nearest, not sure, maybe one day, I will look into that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a shame when pubs cant keep and serve beer properly. At least with a Spoons you know it's on it's last legs and that's why it 2 quid, not 6. And bottled Broadside is a very respectable ABV . Bleak? Rare enough for me to still have novelty value.

      Delete
  2. After witnessing your shambolic attempt to tie knots, cast, etc, I thought it best not to out fish you when you were that low 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similar story to me, my Mum doing a sterling job but still needs lots of support. My Dad has has no life really for 12 mths, bed bound almost now. That much needed fishing fix a nice distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comes to most of us in the end Mick. Make a good bit of every day

      Delete
  4. It was always a "cow's arse with a banjo" where I grew up! The looking after parents is something the majority of decent folk will have to negotiate as time progresses. Stay strong and keep positive, the family will get through it whatever. - Dylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was struggling as to what the banjo's target was..and thanks Dylan

      Delete
  5. You are the product of a tryst involving Austin Clissett, Ian heaps and Kevin Ashurst.....yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aka the scourge of spotted Brightlingsea!!

    ReplyDelete