Saturday 11 February 2023

Crimp or twist?

I haven't much patience and lure fishing  tests what little I do have. But, a bit like swingtipping I try it once a year or so and then remember why I don't do it all the time. I'd chosen a low, clear section and that didn't help. But I can see how it might appeal, and  it certainly gets the steps counted. For those that do count steps.


I lost this yellow/green thing in a snag and opened up a packet that has been in my car(s) boot for about 4 years. Nice little action in the margin, and out went one of them. 


Unfortunately not attached to my line. I'd  blindly accepted the ready to fish advice and hadn't checked the supplied trace. The crimp on the snap lock end had failed.  I used to be a fervent twister, we all were and even had the ET twiddle stick gizmo. But I disliked the untidy nature of the twisted scruffy loose ends that often caused a tangle. I reasoned that as the loop of the trace was passed through and  back over the eye of the hook or swivel it would be secure anyway. So I made friends with the crimp and have never had one fail. I looked at the evidence that's plain to see in hindsight  in the pic. The wire had simply been  been passed through the eye and the crimp not squeezed at all.  Cheap skates.





4 comments:

  1. Twisting is ugly and reliable when I do it.
    Crimping looks nice but I'm never sure it's reliable,
    so I always twist, pike don't give a damn .

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB, I've never known any other way than the ET "Twiddling Stick" and have absolute confidence in the method. If a neat finish is what's required then I would recommend the Pallatrax "Super Shrink" tubing to tidy up the twisted joints. As the "Scribbler" has already noted - Pike don't give a toss whether it's a crimp or a twist. - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed.....though I had a falling out with Pallatrax about their insistence that using Stonz would 100% catch me more fish because the fish detect the metal in lead.

      Delete