Sunday 12 November 2023

A tale of one river, two days

I had most of Saturday afternoon free so went prospecting on the Bure. Some decent rudd, roach and perch have been coming out of the tidal round Wroxham but being a Saturday it was packed out, mostly pike boats and Day-Glo orange floats were everywhere. And being tidal the flood run-off  was being held back and the moorings were mostly underwater. Corn and worms not required


Back up the valley to the town stretch just above the last of the tidal trotting maggot where I'd had my last success but trotting line and depth changes couldn't buy a bite so dropped down 20 yards and three dace in three trots. 


I coaxed then up with my feed strategy and pretty soon they were under the rod tip. And every drop-in a coconut. Dace twisting in the flow and the roach making me yield line from the pin. I just love the direct feel you get playing a fish off the pin.


Enough action to warrant digging out the neoprene fingerless as my wet hands began to feel a nip for the first time this season. I'd moved behind a treeline and despite the last of  the low sun lighting up the beeches I also had to don the big coat.


Not everyone went in the net for a piccy but enough for it to feel quite heavy. Putting this sample back killed the swim and I slid back along the muddy path in the gathering gloom a very happy Bure Boi.


Today (Sunday) and I headed further up to the next Mill which was a mistake as it was being run off and the level was down a couple of feet.


I worked hard but nothing took a fancy to my trotted reds or bounced along dendros  but I did spend a bit of time watching this (distant) dog otter below my swim.


















6 comments: