Friday 8 July 2022

Hi Ho Silver Lining

Don't know anything about Jeff Beck but I'd bet a nugget he never caught a silver bream  I probably hadn't till yesterday unless I count the tiny little thing I caught from Danbury Park Lake when I was 12 that came  with a bonus tiny float and an even tinier size 22 hook. I didn't even know they were plentiful in the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire  Fens system. I'd spread my post work wings to the edge of my territory to spend an late afternoon 15 feet down a high bank chewing the fat with the Loafer (aka Essex Scribbler) out on a mini road trip in his Twisted Melon Hymer. I think the Middle Level is vague enough. I certainly had to throw a pink if not red herring to the Facebook swim jumper replies. And Pingle Bridge is a real place btw.

It's deep and quite rugged and needed some positive baiting to stir an interest, see below: once they were on it every chuck a coconut but (most) bites hard to hit on our basic open ended feeder tactic but the Loafer reported better results on the slider. We both thought a long pole to hand would be even better if it wasn't permanently windy, even tucked in down below the flood banks. .


Wurms mostly for the Loafer so this lovely perch was no surprise. 


I dropped down to a 14  with single corn to get a better hook up ratio and we certainly were in a silver bream hotspot


I'm sure we had some hybrids but you wouldn't need to be Dr Redfin to spot a true one. Lovely little things they are and game scrappers too.


I had a couple of tiny skimmers, a couple of rudd and this odd thing, neither roach or rudd.


A lovely late afternoon indeed. The Loafer is right though, definitely Bandit country. 











6 comments:

  1. Looks like good fun and those Silver Bream look amazing, very rare down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best one was 1lb 5oz and most others 4-10 oz so not bad size. Stuffed full of them

      Delete
  2. Lovely googly eyed things silver bream. We've got loads in some of the rivers but most anglers seem to believe they're hybrids.

    ReplyDelete