Thursday 15 September 2022

Caster blaster

Looked at my local river yesterday, now everyone is on the water on stand up thingys and not walking the footpaths it seems everywhere is so overgrown and as for weed cutting.. found some nice spots for trotting "bigger" baits before the hoped for floods and later frosts to keep the peasants away so plans will be hatched.

I hatched a few plans after a late lunch and a longer drive to a sometimes venue down another valley intending to use some of these bonus casters  with a beefed up waggler set up just in case  a tench turned up which they sometimes do. Fed hemp, pellet and caster and some pretty roach kept me going  but then several very irritating mallard turned up and carnage ensued. Constantly swirling round the float and  making me pull at my rapidly disappearing hair. I resorted to using the rest of the casters to feed the mallards off further down the bank and put in some pellet and mini Source and came in just past the pads  with a Source under  a puddle chucker. 


When I wasn't shooing away the foul fowl I was getting little dips of the float and three times the dips became bites. The tench had turned up jut as I had hoped.



Amazing how they head for those pads at every opportunity and really test the tackle, even on a heavier float road and 6 lb Sensor. Carnage of an no-ducky nature and pads floating everywhere hence the net adornment. Mud pigs however seem to go on long surging runs and rarely bury themselves deliberately in the inviting underwater jungle. Just as well as my "big" net had got tangled up and it took an age to get it free to net this lovely old bruiser. I'd heard there were a few in the lake so nice to be able to catch one to confirm it. And weighing at around 6 times the weight of the guessed weight of the tench.  A quarter of a pound off 18lb. Happy days indeed and how quickly the nights are pulling in now.







3 comments: