Friday 13 August 2021

Bream for the Loafer.

It seems the Loafer (AKA Essex Scribbler) dislikes bream almost as much as eels. So, to keep him quiet there will be bream today. 

The very brisk south westerly and overcast conditions seemed perfect but by the time I'd got to the farm pond the cloud had been burn off so I wasn't as confident  about bagging up as I had been earlier.. nice to hear that India were loosing a few wickets though. Jimmy Anderson at it again.

It seems that wagglers these days come in loaded versions mostly. I like to leave the rod made up and just slip the float out of the adapter, seems I might have to resort to float stops and link swivels though I could leave the loaded section on the line if the stem can be detached. The puddle chuckers  I use have a sliding clip fitting but I guess are more costly to produce.


I'm also looking round for hooks as my fave B50's are getting scarce, these aren't fine wire but fairly wide and neat too though the micro barbs are really micro from a bait holding perspective . 

.

That south westerly  was over my shoulder which meant the hook bait was landing well in front of  the float, good for tangle reducing but  also good for a nice long drop which meant the roach were getting to it before it hit the deck. Pretty roach but not what I came for.


Not long though before the larger skimmers then the bream moved in over the feed and pushed the roach out. They ranged from absolute minters...




to in-betweeners..


and on to  absolute munters.



A very pleasant afternoon. 



6 comments:

  1. Not a great fan of loaded wagglers as the tend to dive when the hit the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a balancing act between the bulk and the length. And then there's the girth....

      Delete
  2. I like the puddle chuckers, bought them on the name alone, but like the easy slide clip on the line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideal for shallow water, the clips sometimes come undone or the float body separates from the lead and you are hoping for a wind in your face to blow them back in. I've had three bobbing around at once before.

      Delete
  3. Smeggy old things.
    Nice roach though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to wait for the autumn for the roach. They disappear completely in the winter.

      Delete