Wednesday 11 August 2021

In the mix

Bastard rain replaced by bastard sun. Headed to the poplars for some shade but it took a sweltering, eyeball sweating  hour for the sun to dip low enough for some relief. And that was after bashing down acres of Rosebay to get make a swim. At least no Himalayan Balsam yet. Pissed off a pair of otters with my bashing and thrashing. And once my eyeballs had stopped sweating I could see that I'd be fishing blind as the river was the colour of tea, I guess after the bastard rain we've had. No river gauge reports on this river system.



Wasn't  a bite  a trot but a few came my way on double reds, and one decent unseen adversary that shed the hook after taking line from the pin. Felt more roachy than perchy. Speaking of which three or four times a perch or perhaps a brownie was chasing dace or roach over in the far margin. No bream pics this time.






I'll go back when the heat dies down to open  up a few more spots. Shame the cattle have poached so much bank. A real broken ankle waiting to happen scenario. I need to make a couple of sturdy but light mini pallet platforms to stash in hedges, or perhaps "come across"   those heavy duty plastic ramps the utilities use to  cover the trenches they dig in footpaths. I'll avoid those footpaths where I've left a 3 foot deep hole uncovered...it won't be my broken ankle/neck of femur at least. Always look on the bright side.

2 comments:

  1. Rosebay makes a change from Balsam. There are times when those boxes with built in platforms look like a good idea, provided you have enough Sherpas to get them to the river bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sworn never to get a platform thingy. Or a carp barrow to truck it round in. Sherpas you say?

      Delete