Sunday 25 April 2021

Murder on the dance floor

I had only noticed the female on the nest as I packed up on my first trip back on The Very Local (Golden Pond) this year and it was a bit of a shock to find this scene of carnage today.


Such a lovely nest too, must have been her breast down feathers she lined it with. God only knows what happened. Fox or corvid perhaps? 


I heard today that another pair on the pond have lost at least one duckling to a buzzard as well I'm sure to pike which are adept on here of picking off a whole brood of goslings, one by one.

Cold wind again today so I opted for the slight shelter of the island a rather than being perched 4 up feet 10 yard out over the pond.     i knew someone had been on in the morning but no bubbles evident to show where he'd fished and baited as the chop was too much. Tucked into the left with a pair of one of my favourite rods in my growing collection. Simply the best at doing what they say on the tin


Speaking of tins, I can't believe what some people will pay for a tin of golden goodness all branded up in a tackle shop. Less than 40p a tin from LIDL and it would be even cheaper frozen per kilo. 


I will confess to paying just under 2 quid for this discounted hemp for the Fishing Republic concession in Go Outdoors but the  Commander in Chief hates me preparing it at home from dry. I'm going to  have to tough it out and do a big batch to freeze.



Anyhow, a lovely carpet of both, supplemented with a mix of pellets got the puddle chuckers dipping to to herald a left and right hander pair of bream, and as the cold had seeped deep into my bones despite the big coat I took my leave with a dripping stink net and mat.

From my right on corn daddy bream 


And on my left on the mini Sourcery mummy bream



Latch key Dad's lunch prep


Latch key Dad's supper 













4 comments:

  1. An old chap I knew that looked after the village pond always reckoned it was nice of the ducks to provide neat little packages of found for the carnivores.
    I don't like boiling up hemp in the house. The small takes ages to get rid of. I use a 10L Burco in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be why they lay so many eggs in a clutch.
      Missed a lockdown build a hemp cooking man shed trick.....

      Delete
  2. Death is part of life, but nobody likes the look of such innocent birds meeting a fate like that.
    On a lighter note I love your supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, just buttered leeks in cream.

      Delete