Saturday 4 March 2023

Border patrols

Off down the jolly old A140 yesterday to check up on Dad and deliver parcels for onward transit. Journey negotiated with just two old man pee stops and one of these was to see how the river ran. Barely at all but with fish topping in my probable journey home spot I'd most likely try there later. Dad was bearing up but still some legal bits ongoing for him.

Reassured  I set off back, stopping for a very nice Broadside with a nice log fire in The Sun. Some London Media. types dong a promo shoot at the bar, all deffo not Essex Girl TOWIE clothing and story boards 

I looked over the bridge astride the border (not running down the Irish Sea) between Devil Dog Land and Pink Cottage County, a mean upstreamer and likely rain and  a very clear Stour shoved chub plans back in the mash bucket. I did wonder about the mill pool but it was chock full of club members (not) on this former free spot. I have yet to see any club members fish it. But I'm not a club member. So, my original plan then, the riverside stretch and looking for some semblance of flow. First spot and I mostly got my B560'S stuck in the tangle traps or my finger, requiring the big pike forceps and some blood and flesh removal so I moved nearer the car and at first found some tiny bleak. An imperceptible almost increase in flow and change of wind direction opened up a better sort of trot just as jobbing gardener The Loafer pitched up for a mardle and to admire the finesse of my finely balanced trotting set up. He even had a go, tempting this sparkling little rudd.


I had a mixture of dace,  roach, perch and chublets.  But thankfully no more bleak.




I think a pole would have been better as i bumped several, to much line on the bottom? but as it was a nice head clearing sit down and catch up with the emerging gardening Mogul (psst, no 'qualifications never got in my way Boi'). He's more of a job sizer upper and job getter and has the uncanny knack of never undercutting what someone might actually offer him. Good, a spring, summer and autumn's loafing needs paying for and that is true Essex nouse. He'd definitely look sharp on The Apprentice.


He then showed me his SAS you aint  seen me right forbidden  stretch which looks the actual dogs bollox. but I can't show you it obvs.




4 comments: