Thursday 9 March 2023

Long chuck

Kept very local yesterday, another weather dodging short trip, this time taking a pair of pike rods for a slow amble round the pond. Not sure where the extensive lily beds are, apart from a few early risers so  long chucks and twitch backs. Very shallow so floats order of the day. More of which in a bit. Cast off a few manky Morrisons cheapo sardines as unintended pre bait but mostly they stayed on.  Nothing in the first twitch back of both rods, bar spooking a couple of mud pigs. 

Friendly robin

The line on both rods was rhythmically lifting due to the wind action on the floats, which given the deep silt I hadn't tightened up to and so the rod tips were also nodding (nothing to do with being propped up high of course).I'd just sent a sardine  as far as I could with a 3/4 oz weight and sat down  to see the rod definitely not nodding slowly but much more violently and the buzzer signalling line being taken off the baitrunner. I gracefully rose from my super carpy garden chair, flicked off the anti-reverse and engaged the spool. Pike on. They can't do much more than bore off near the surface in 2 foot of water so lots of fun before I got it in the manky old 'pike' net I don't mind cutting trebles out of. The hooks fell out in in the net so a little scissor action  was needed but no dentistry required. No self-takery either as it wasn't that big. Pleasing though. I must have dropped the bait almost on it's head. Gloomy skies loomed so that was my short lot.






4 comments:

  1. If the weather down there was owt like the weather up 'ere I don't think I'd have bothered, but it was clearly worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been confined to barracks since then, weather has been, and continues to be minging but it might get marginally better later.

      Delete
  2. Short and Fat. tbh, I have been called worse. Nice pike that.

    ReplyDelete